PLEASE READ ALL OF THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION CAREFULLY!
Auditions for the 2021-2022 Season were scheduled for August 14th and 15th, 2021.
The 2021-2022 EYSO Season features a complete return to in-person orchestral activities- including a return to our regular programming of full orchestra rehearsals, concerts, masterclasses, and pre-college seminars.
Auditioning for EYSO comprises both entrance auditions (for admittance to the EYSO program) and string seating auditions. Entrance auditions take place each August, and string seating auditions take place twice per season: in August, following entrance auditions, and in January, preceding rehearsals for our Winter Concert Cycle.
2021-2022 Audition Information
Virtual Audition Overview
- All auditions will be administered online via live, unedited video recording (smartphone recordings are acceptable).
- Please record your audition in one continuous, unedited “take”. No spliced auditions will be accepted.
- All auditionees must sign up for their audition via our online eAudition system. Auditionees may choose any available day or time they like.
- Emailed Audition videos or links must be received by the student’s assigned audition time (for example, if you are scheduled to audition on August 15 at 3:30 pm, your video must be posted by this day and time).
- Auditions must be posted to YouTube as unlisted. Please send the link to your video to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- No sightreading will be required this year. All other audition requirements remain unchanged.
- Scale are required for strings only. No scales are required for winds, brass, percussion, piano and harp.
- Percussionists may audition on one instrument only, in the event that they only have access to one instrument.
- Following the audition period, EYSO will announce results via email and our website, www.emoryyouthsymphony.org.
Recording your Audition Video
- Please state your name, grade level, and name of your school at the beginning of your video.
- Please introduce the name and composer of your solo(s).
- Dress for your video audition as you would dress for an in-person audition.
- Check your camera angle and audio quality before submitting your audition.
- Make sure we can see your face, your instrument, and posture/set-up in your video.
- Record in an area of your home with minimal distractions.
- No editing, added reverb, or special video effects.
- You may make as many takes as you’d like, but please submit one complete unedited take.
- Please submit all of your audition requirements in one, unedited video. You may make as many takes as you like and select the best one. Percussionists may submit multiple videos for their requirements.
- Check to make sure you’ve included all the requirements for your audition before submitting your video. Late submission of forgotten components will not be accepted.
Audition repertoire requirements
- required scales (for string players only)
- a required orchestral excerpt (string players, please be sure to submit the excerpt for the entrance audition, not the seating audition)
- solo repertoire of your choice (4-6 minutes)
- string players – accepted violinists, violists, cellists, and bassists will play an in-person seating audition at Emory on Wednesday, August 18 (the sign up form to schedule an audition will be sent to all accepted string players on Monday, August 16)
The appropriate required orchestral excerpts can be found below and will be provided to each auditionee immediately via email when they register for their audition online. Solo repertoire should be 4-6 minutes of music of the student’s choosing including two contrasting excerpts (technical and lyrical) from standard solo literature. A single solo work with contrasting sections is also an acceptable option. Memorization is not required. See below for required scales.
Required 2021-2022 Audition Excerpts:
Major scales for strings are as follows (no arpeggios, please):
Violin: G and C major scales, 3 octave, separate bow
Viola: C and F major scales, 3 octave, separate bow
Cello: C and Eb major scales, 3 octave, separate bow
Bass: G and Bb major scales, 2 octave, separate bow
In choosing your solo works, please prepare material on two out of three of: snare drum, timpani, mallets. See .pdf file above for audition details and requirements. If you do not have access to any instruments, please contact EYSO: email@example.com
Auditionees are evaluated on the basis of tone quality, intonation, rhythmic accuracy, musicianship, expressiveness, and reading ability.
Students will receive information on how to pay the audition registration fee when they register.
Questions regarding auditions should be directed to Jessica Stinson, Orchestra Manager – firstname.lastname@example.org